Monday, November 3, 2008

My First Visit

My first visit went better then I ever could have expected! Timex is beautiful, in great condition and the farm where he resides is gorgeous. Let me start by saying Timex has one of the cutest faces I've ever seen. He looks like an over grown pony. I went to him in the field well supplied with carrots and cookies and he let me attach the lead rope and he walked quietly to the gate. I then tied him up to the hitching post and began grooming him. He stood like a perfect angel and knew exactly what I wanted as I made my rounds to pick his feet. I was seriously amazed by how calm he was, I think I've been spending too much time with the Thoroughbreds ;) From just this one visit I got the impression that Timex has never, and will never try to bite or kick anyone, its just not in his personality. Have I mentioned how cute his face is? How anyone could ever think to put him down I'll never understand. Anyway, I checked him over, no bumps or cuts, he is carrying good weight and his feet looked good and were without heat. Additionally his hind pastern didn't even look that bad and again there was no heat. Later I saw him running in the pasture and he was perfectly sound. Thank God! I just want him to be happy and healthy and to live out his days in comfort. At some point soon I hope to have the vet come out and take a look at his leg and see if he needs cosequin or monthly adequan etc. and while I'm still a little nervous about the fact that he doesn't have a stall, I've read and been told that it is often best for arthritic or older horses to be out as much as possible so that they never have time to stiffen up so hopefully this is the right set up for him.

My time with him was too brief but I'm already looking forward to my next visit. In the meantime I'm sure my brother will be out there to check on him and to feed him treats.

Ok, now for the pony cuteness! (oh and I forgot to mention that he sticks his tounge out, which only adds to his adorable cuteness)

Timex on his way towards me to get more treats
Timex and my bother.

Standing like a gentleman to be groomed.

Timex on the far right with his buddies (the chestnut next to him seems to be his bestfriend)

1 comment:

Emily Daignault said...

You made this happen!!! I am so thrilled for all of you I cannot even say how much.

I will be following the blog and of course watching over "Timey" from the next hill.

Stay well,

~Emily